- Getting Started
- Installation of the theme
- Activate the theme and Import the demo content
- Setting up the Homepage
- Theme Features
- Theme Customization
- Adding the Images to Revolution slider
- Setting up Content pages and posts
- Blog page
- Courses and Teachers pages
- Media Gallery
- WooCommerce shop
- Update the theme
Smarty – Education WordPress Theme
A short guide and general information to help you get to know your new theme.
Above all, We would like to thank you for purchasing this theme, your contribution is very much appreciated.
This document covers the installation and use of this theme and reveals answers to common problems and issues - We encourage you to read this document thoroughly if you are experiencing any difficulties. If you have any questions that are beyond the scope of this document, feel free to pose them in the dedicated support forum.
Installation of the theme
Installation of the themeTo install this theme you must have a working version of WordPress already installed. For information regarding the installing of the WordPress platform, please see the WordPress Codex - http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress
InstallationWhen you are ready to install a theme, you must first upload the theme files and then activate the theme itself. The theme files can be uploaded in two ways: FTP Upload - Using your FTP client, upload the non-zipped theme folder into the /wp-content/themes/ folder on your server WordPress Upload - Navigate to Appearance -> Add New Themes -> Upload. Go to browse, and select the zipped theme folder. Hit “Install Now” and the theme will be uploaded and installed.
3. STM Post Type
4. Timetable Responsive Schedule For WordPress
5. Revolution Slider
6. Contact Form 7
7. STM Importer
8. MailChimp for WordPress Lite
9. TinyMCE Advanced
10. Instagram Feed
Activate the theme and Import the demo content
Activate the theme and Import the demo contentAfter completing installation of the theme, you need to activate your product under Smarty -> Product registration following these instructions:
2. Enter a name for your token, then check the boxes for View Your Envato Account Username, Download Your Purchased Items, Verify Purchases You've Made and List Purchases You've Made from the permissions needed section. Check the box to agree to the terms and conditions, then click the Create Token button.
3. A new page will load with a token number in a box. Copy the token number then come back to this registration page and paste it into the field below and click the Submit button.
4. You will see a green check mark for success, or a failure message if something went wrong. If it failed, please make sure you followed the steps above correctly.
What if the Import fails or stalls?If the import stalls and fails to respond after a few minutes You are suffering from PHP configuration limits that are set too low to complete the process. You should contact your hosting provider and ask them to increase those limits to a minimum as follows:
- max_execution_time 600
- memory_limit 128M
- post_max_size 32M
- upload_max_filesize 32M
Setting up the Homepage
Setting up the HomepageTo set up the homepage you must create a new page, you can do so by navigating to Pages > Add New. The title for this page can be up to your liking. Under Settings -> Reading or Appearance -> Customize -> Site Settings -> Static Front Page please setup the new Homepage. Actually you can set any page to be your homepage. Once it’s created you can compose your homepage layout. The design layout is created under Bootstrap framework which is split into 12 columns grid. Each widget has its own maximum and minimum widths, so depending on that you can work out the layout for each page. As you can see the homepage just like any the page is now 100% constructible out of the modules we have in Visual Composer. The homepage can be created by any element in Visual Composer. To view the short manual on how to use the Visual Composer, please follow this link:
http://codecanyon.net/item/visual-composer-page-builder-for-wordpress/full_screen_preview/242431 The detailed documentation of Visual Composer can be found here also - http://vc.wpbakery.com/video-tutorials/
Theme CustomizationWordPress Customize allows you to setup the general styling of the website visually. In WordPress menu go to Appearance > Customize. Here you can setup most important options of your theme. Site Settings:
- Static Front Page: You can select default Front and Blog pages here.
- Logo & Title: You can setup basic site options like: Site title, Tagline, Logo & its dimensions and Favicon.
- Typography: Set up the fonts out of free google fonts. Besides this you can setup font weight, font size and line height also.
- Style & Settings: There are Color Skins and default Layout options. Here you can select one of 7 basic color schemas or set your custom colors, enable/disable Boxed version and show/hide Frontend Customizer.
- Layout: Here you can select displayable social icons, the copyright text and split the footer into widgets. Also specify the number of widget areas.
- Additional Scripts: You can put here your extra scripts.
Footer area setup
Footer area setupThe footer is the same on all pages. You can see whole options via Appearance -> Customize -> Footer. Here you can set up:
- Count of additional Widget Areas;
- Footer Socials;
How to set up the sidebar
How to set up the sidebarIn this theme we paid special attention to Sidebars for your biggest convenience and on multiple previous requests. We have two types of sidebar: right sidebar and left sidebar, which can be selected for both of archive and single posts/pages. In addition to that, you can add/create a new sidebar with VC Widgets/Elements, in this case you will need to go here: Edit or create a new sidebar, and add any sections you need by means of Visual Composer For archive pages you can set sidebar options up via Appearance -> Customize -> Layout For single pages/posts you can add sidebar via Widgetised Sidebar or STM Sidebar VC element
Adding Images to Revolution slider
Adding Images to Revolution sliderYou will need to upload various images to the Layer slider. You can add items from Revolution Slider plugin in the WordPress backend. When you go there first you need to create the new Slider, and add new slides. More detailed manual you can find here - http://www.themepunch.com/revslider-doc/slider-revolution-documentation/.
MenusThere are two navigations on the site – Header menu and Footer menu, so you can adjust them under Appearance -> Menus This is standard Wordpress functionality, you can choose from the pages, post categories, or custom links.
LocalizationYou can change your site main language via Settings -> General -> Site Language It’s easy to localize your site using Loco Translate plugin. Here you can see related tutorial - https://localise.biz/help/wordpress/translate-plugin/beginners. Another way is to add your translations via creating your own .po files. Before adding translations for static strings it needs to rename language files correctly according your site languages. Theme language files are located in a ../wp-content/themes/theme-folder/languages/ folder. You can find a list of language codes at WordPress in your Language. As an example, the language code for English is en_EN, so you would save the translated files as en_EN.po first, then en_EN.mo. There are several ways to fill up translations. One of them if using PoEdit platform. You can add translation via editing your .po file and at the end PoEdit generates .mo file for you. Then you needs to upload ready translation files to primordial folder (../wp-content/themes/theme-folder/languages/).
Setting up Content Pages and Posts
Setting up Content Pages and PostsAll pages can be created as simple content pages or built by means of Visual Composer page builder. You will need to first set up the page and then add and set up content blocks. Just add a row and add the modules to row from the Visual Composer dashboard. Now you can choose how to compose your template. Add Content modules, Testimonials, etc. You have everything to realize your imagination. We have also included extension packages for Visual Composer. You can use them free. Just pick the module you like and add it to the row. Then you can edit it. You can also edit the row background, add video or parallax images to the background. Just click on Row edit icon and you will see the options & features, which are available for this row. Custom added shortcodes in our theme are on a separate tab: Besides this, each page contains these options which include header color or background image, title fonts and colors, breadcrumbs and button settings:
Blog pageTThe Blog page is a usual blog, formed from the posts which belong to categories created by you, which have tags and featured images that show in the post listings on the blog page. You can set a page as a Blog posts archive page via Appearance -> Customize -> Site Settings -> Static Front Page: The blog page can have the sidebar on the left, right or no sidebar, and the contents of the sidebar, as described above, are set under the Appearance -> Widgets. Other settings of this archive page you can setup via Appearance -> Customize -> Blog: Blogs can be posted by someone who has the access to the backend of the site with admin or author role. Anyway that person will be able to log into the WordPress panel and have a user profile. Default blog layout is grid layout and once you set up an empty page in the theme setting where it is said blog, it will show posts in grid layout.
EventsThere is a custom post type to describe your Events via any element visual composer offers you. You can create them under Events menu. Also you can see a list of the joined people to your Events and their information via Events -> All Members menu. There is a Events Category taxonomy in order to separate your Events by category. You can add/modify them under Events -> Categories. Also you can add Events as for any page using custom STM Events VC element. This module also has its own settings
TestimonialsIn order that you could create testimonials in one place and then use all over the site, just inserting a VC element, we have created custom posts. Each testimonial is a simple post:
URL should be: http://[your_domain]/?stm_check_donation_ipn=1
Courses and Teachers pages
Courses and Teachers pagesYou can add Courses and Teachers under respectively menus and set a Teacher for your Course in a Course Details section: For your Teachers you can add additional information like Positions, Social links and E-mail under Details section. All other data which will be available on Frontend should be added in the Content. Also you can display your teachers grid via adding Teachers Grid VC element in a page and set its options up:
Media GalleryYou can add Media elements like a single post each of them under Media Gallery: Besides Title and Images you can set Gallery Format, Category(es), Description, Link or Embed code for each gallery post. Also it’s possible to set a post as a Featured. For displaying your Media Gallery you can use one of the extra VC Modules in any page.
MealsMeals – is one of the custom post types in the theme. In order to display them in your site you need to create posts under Meals menu. Here you can set all needed information like Title, Description, Featured image for your Meal. Beides this you can add Weekdays and Meal Time for Meals under Meals -> Weekdays & Meals -> Meal Time. At least you can add STm Meal shortvode in your page and setup it in order to display your Meals in your site.
AchievementsThere is an Achievements post type for adding special Certificates. You can create and setup your Certificates under Achievements -> Add New and use Achievements shortcode for displaying them in pages.
WooCommerce Shop settings
WooCommerce Shop settingsWooCommerce is the most popular e-commerce plugin for WordPress. Now you can have a shop with all e-commerce features on WordPress. Before you start adding products, please go through the WooCommerce plugin settings and specify everything you need for your shop: Adding the products: You can easily add new products via Products > Add Product You can read more about Woocommerce here also - WooCommerce Documentation
Update the theme
Update the themeThere are 3 methods to update our wordpress themes to newer version. These new updates are essential if you want to have a bug free website as we give new features and improvements to the theme over time. Some of these updates might be needed in order to make the theme compatible with wordpress newer versions. There is no risk on losing your settings and pages. However if you have done modifications on core theme files, then they will be lost, so you should back up those files.
Update Through Wordpress Admin Panel (Envato Extension)It's possible to update the theme easily via Dashboard -> Updates, after entering correct API credentials via Customize -> Site Settings -> One Click Update:
- Envato Username - your ThemeForest (or Envato) username (i.e. Stylemixthemes).
- Envato API Key - secret API key you have on ThemeForest. You can create a new one under the Settings > API Keys section of your profile.
Update Through Wordpress Admin Panel (using extra plugin)
- For this method you should first install Theme Upgrades Tool (http://wordpress.org/plugins/easy-theme-and-plugin-upgrades/)
- Unzip the file you just downloaded from ThemeForest and locate the WordPress Theme.
- Click on Appearance > Themes in your Dashboard. Still within the Themes section, on header tab, click on Add New, then on header second tab click Upload Theme.
- Click Browse… and locate the new theme file.
- In the Upgrade existing theme? Option choose Yes from the dropdown list.
- Click Install Now and Activate the theme.
Updating using a FTP software
- Login into your Themeforest account and go to downloads (Dashboard > Downloads)
- Download the theme into your computer
- Install an FTP program (Filezilla is free) Retrieve your FTP login information from your hosting admin panel and login into your hosting via FTP
- Unzip the item main file and locate theme archive file and unzip it. Make sure your unzipping software do not create extra directory with the same name nested into each other.
- Drag and drop theme main folder into your FTP program with the destination : YOUR_HOSTING_ROOT/YOUR_SUBDIRECTORY/wp-content/themes/
- FTP program will give a warning that there is an existing with the same directory name, choose replace all.